<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, February 17, 2005

I'll have to let Mike answer that one. I don't know if he's running his own sorting algoritm or relying on a diamond mind one. There's a lot that is hidden inside the diamond mind engine. It's not like stratomatic where you have a card with discrete outcomes. From what Mike has told me and what I've read on the diamond mine site it's got a much bigger inference engine inside it.

One thing I do know is last year I put a bunch of platoons in place and hardly any of them paid off. I picked 2 extreme players with splits to platoon at 1st base (2001 Nevin and Thome) . Nevin had something like a 1.20 OPS against left handed pitching, Thome was close to the same vs. righties. Neither paid off and I was bewildered. Then I read up some more on splits to find out that they often flip flop for many players over different seasons. Take a look at Boone's lefty righty splits over several years as an example. The Diamond Mind engine takes this into account and you can draft a player with incredible splits in 2004 and have totally different outcomes in the sim league.

It's a complicated piece of software which makes it exciting and frustrating at the same time (sort of like the real game and performance predictions).

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?